Monday, November 28, 2011

Reply

This writing was supposed to be a reply to my friend's opinion about her first theatrical experience as an audience. But turned out it is quite long that I decided to make a new post.



* * *

On your first point, I feel the same way when I watched Teater Koma's ANTIGONEO. The dialogues are tediously long, and I perceive that some scenes' existence are not that significant in supporting the whole plot line. But I think it's just me who didn't possess enough intelligence to understand them. Perhaps, that's really what theatre is all about (as you pointed out earlier).

I. Yudhi Soenarto (the director and scriptwriter) told us that all of the dialogues were carefully chosen, and he tried to make not even single sentence ends up pointlessly. Several are meant to strengthen the nature of each characters (as you said), some are additions in order to build logical & sensible plot, and the rest are allusions to ongoing political issues in our country. But I agree with you. It would be much better if those ideas could be delivered in much more concise dialogues.

And I have to admit that I personally think that the scenes' settings are not visually enchanting, compared to other plays I've watched. This has something to do with internal issues, but I don't think I'm supposed to write it down here, in publicly-visible social media.

You can compare the settings of this play to settings of 'Sayang Aku HIV, Kamu Ngapain Aja?' (2008) which was also produced by Teater Sastra UI.



Perhaps this also affected your interest in watching the play, since you're a visual person.

I spotted interesting point there, about the internal jokes. I did not notice this at all until you pointed it out. Sure, the jokes are supposed to be generally acceptable. Regarding the internal jokes, I. Yudhi Soenarto of course avoids including any form of it in the script. But, the actors did lots of improvisations on stage. I am pretty sure that the internal jokes are recited out of consciousness. Please note that I'm not trying to justify my fellows' (or even mine?) mistakes. We should have avoided that, I know.
Which part of the dialogues that contained internal jokes
(which you wouldn't get unless you read the booklet), if I may ask? :)

About the costumes, I also think they were pleasing to the eye. And what's amazing about it is the fact that we didn't rent any costumes. We have a pile of clothes, I don't know how did they get those clothes, but the point is, that the pile is some kind of 'stock of costumes'. All they (people from costume division) did was just mix-matching those clothes, and it has to have no similarities (at least, the audiences won't notice) with costumes in previous plays. If you remember my first costume, the white transparent (some kind of) lace around my arms? It was actually a tutu skirt, pressed by the black vest I wore afterward. The costume division deserves salutation, don't you think?

On your questions about the plot... Well. I will try to explain it from my point of view and from what I've known. People can have different interpretations, and what I am going to say could in fact deviate from what actually I. Yudhi Soenarto intended it to be. Forgive me if such misunderstandings happen.

Okay. Now I am confused how to start this.
*cough*


I perceive that the Prime Minister initial suggestion about holding the 'Baju Baru Sang Raja' festival was free from any intention of embarrassing The King. He suggested it merely in order to present idea to celebrate The King and Queen's wedding anniversary in such glamour way, which was an allusion on how our government frequently wastes money and allocates it for unnecessary expenses. Do you remember the case when members of People's Representative Body
(sounds pretty weird, but I checked Miriam Budiarjo's textbook regarding this term. Finally, 'Introduction to Political Science' subject is put into good use. Ha!) proposed to make golden rings for them, as a 'farewell' item? Well, I associates that case with this scene.

But, the Defence Minister saw this as an opportunity to take over the reign. Of course, he couldn't do it with his own hands. He needed mass and back-ups to run his plan, so that he will not be spotted in case it ends up failing.

On the other side, the activists had their own interest to take down the king, with their own motives. But, you see, they're in deficiency of funding. That's why, I guess, they initially suggested about participating in the festival as contestant (though in the end they didn't).

This was where the needs of Defence Minister and the activists' interest met. The Defence Minister willingly funded the activists' demonstration (though he emphasise not to be mentioned at all), and the activists willingly held demonstration to achieve Defence Minister's and their own goal. It was explained in the third scene, if I am not mistaken.

Apparently, there's third party involved in this plan. I hope you still remember the part where Defence Minister was receiving phone call and doing conversation in English. From his dialogues (monologues), we can assume that he was making phone call with foreigner.

Bruce Wong was also making phone call in the penultimate scene, elaborating that the plan went just well.  I assume the person that was talking to Bruce Wong was the same person as the one who phoned Defence Minister. That person from America, with unknown background, was the mastermind of this plan. He has his own motives, of course, by interfering the political condition in that kingdom, but that was not elaborated explicitly in the play.

Is there anything more in the designer other than he's from America or is he involved with the plan along with the activist/defence minister?
Yes, the designer was involved with the plan along the Defence Minister and activists.

Isn't that mean that the evil minister and the activist was lucky enough that the king making a fool of himself at the time? They only wanted to point out how much money the king spent for it right?
Nope. I'm really sorry for the badly organised explanation, but I hope you get my point. They weren't lucky. The King's making fool of himself at the time was not coincidence. It was well planned coup d'état 

About your lack of interest in politics... I hear you, mate, I hear you. I was never a fan of politics too.
As Peter Merkl said,

Politics at its worst is the selfish grab for power, glory, and riches.

Indonesia's politic has reached this degree, and I'm so disgusted with it. I feel like it shows nothing but how cruel, selfish, and beastly people can be. How true the phrase 'Homo Homini Lupus' is.

Indeed, politics is excruciating topic to contemplate on for some people. That's why this play was delivered in the form of satyric comedy, in hope that we can deliver the message through laughter. So that the issue could be accepted by general audiences. I'm so sorry that we failed to satisfy you in this aspect :(

Additions
I let Nosa Normanda (the one who played Bruce Wong) saw your post. He thanks you for the critics. To respond your critics, his argument was:


'In this play, 'context' was everything. If you can't relate the allusions to the on going political context, you'll fail to understand and enjoy this performance.'

I asked him whether other plays are similar to this, that it has elongated dialogues and such. He said,


'There are many kinds of approach that could be used to develop the plot line. This one's called Brecht (since it was initiated by Bertold Brecht). Brecht explored theatre as a forum for political ideas.'


I guess that explains why the dialogues were incredibly long. There were extractions of I. Yudhi Soenarto's political ideology, I think.

He also suggests you to read Kompasiana's article. This article reviewed the play scene per scene, pretty much detailed. It will help you to understand the context, in case you are interested :)


* * *

Thank you so much for the critics!
Though you didn't seem to enjoy the performance, I really am glad you write honestly about what you think about it, and that you didn't pretend to like it. Which brings us into (some kind of) discussion regarding this topic! This may not be a pretty neat reply to your questions, but I hope it will be satisfying enough for you
(if not, please don't hesitate to make another reply).


I advise you to not so quickly jump into conclusion that theatre is not your thing. Like stated before, theatre consists of lots of types and sub-types. Maybe it's just this one doesn't suit you well.

Lastly, I really thank you, Rani, for your willingness to spare your time watching this, for your support, encouragements each time before I performed. And now I read that you wrote,

'I was there for a friend'.....

It... really touches me. To certain extent.

I've already forgotten what it was like when a friend did something so sincere for me.





7 comments:

  1. Waw, I'm not as neat as you are, so I'll be pretty random at replying this one. But first; Congrats for the play! I bet it was done successfully, despite my utter obliviousness and lack of knowledge or whatever hahahaha. It's such an achievement to be able to take a part in a play like that! For a freshman, not to mention. Salute!

    So yeah! Don't mind the first one because I'm sure that was pretty subjective; and by far, the closest thing I've watched was a puppet play, and there's no dialogue.

    For the inside joke! I've always wanted to asked if there're improvisations on stage or everything said was according to the script; but you already answered that. Hehehe. It's the one when the king said something about the kingdom's advisory (right?) teaching philosophy (because of him nagging); then the kingdom's advisory said no, and he mentioned a name which was suppose to be teaching philosophy. Which turned out to be his real name. (Friday 25th's play) I laughed when I realized that he taught philosophy for real because I didn't expect a lecturer on stage.

    I knew there's gotta be something interesting regarding the costumes! They're weird (not in a bad way) and I thought of you guys using used clothes or fabric or some sort, but not to such extent. Salute for the costume division! Creative indeed.

    SO THAT'S WHAT I'VE MISSED! The part where the defence minister talking in English over the phone! I forgot about that. Very neat; now it all make sense :D sorry for the trouble; explaining the plot to me all over again.

    "... I'm so sorry that we failed to satisfy you in this aspect"
    Don't be, because as much as I think it's boring, the messages are delivered throughly (and I do laugh at some of the jokes). But yeah, Nosa Normada's argument was pretty much true; I also think that maybe it's the political content that turns me off.

    And I thank you for making this, very elaborated reply regarding my opinion. And yeah! I'll take a note of that; I don't know much about theatre and its babies, so I'll probably watch another if it's intriguing enough.

    And don't think too much of it heheh, you could always count on me for support or if there's anything I can help; being a friend is not some kind of favor! You don't have to thank me like that; Yeye, Septhi and Venessa was there for you too I bet hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I see, I heard that part. It wasn't repeated on the Saturday's and Sunday's play, thank God :)
    Just to let you know, we were demanded to memorise and recite dialogues according to the script. Not necessarily exact words, at least the essence shouldn't be altered. But no one knows what will happen on stage. Human errors are commonly found: forgotten lines, concentration-loss, etc. Yet, we have to make it looks like it is part of the script, cover others' mistakes, so that the audiences wouldn't notice there were any flaws.
    However, I'm still lacking of reflex if there were any mistakes. Pity me haha.

    Don't bother, explaining the plot wasn't troubling me at all. I'm glad that you get it now :D

    Oh, I just can't resist to thank whom I think deserves appreciation. Yes, they were there too! Their presence flattered me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Viren..
    I am Yoel.
    I just wanna correct something, the video you added about theatre performance titled "Sayang, aku HIV, kamu ngapain aja?" was in 2008, although it's also performed in previous year.
    :)
    by the way, I'm so interested reading your discussion.
    cheers, guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yoel! Didn't expect your ending up here :P
    Thank youu for the correction! Revised it already.
    Somehow glad that this discussion draws your interest hahaha. If you have anything to add regarding the discussion, please just do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nicely written viren. And Rani, yours were nicely written too.

    to be honest, i despise politics as much as we do. It is an area of intrigue, lies, war strategy. it is the jungle of our modern way of life.

    I talk to Antasari Azhar (the former chairman of KPK) a few days ago in prison. In my very strong belief, he is a victim of politic. You can check out his cases in the internet, the murder of a businessman which was really a weird case, since it has too many holes.

    Azhar was an attorney. He was not into politics. But the people he capture were mostly politician, and he end up in jail with 18 years and a death sentence. Something that will never occur to a corruptor. after 4 hours of discussion, I conclude in my mind and heart that this man is INNOCENT. He is highly intelligent, and i couldn't find any logical way of a man who have capture criminals for more than 30 years could make such a flaw murder plan. he was captured a day after the murder. weird.

    After the discussion, Azhar explain that there were 7 cases which was in his hand when he was arrested. And we conclude that it is a set up. Based on legal law, Azhar could've been released months ago since the evidence was very weak, But every element of legal law, give him a lot of obstacle. The new evidence he presented (novum) didn't even matter to the judge.

    I ask Azhar, "why did you fight the system?" and his answer amazes me.

    "I DID NOT fight the system. I was simply doing my job. and i did it under legal law. You see, if my superior ask me to quit my position, i will do it. But instead, i get this."

    You see, no one escapes politics. and if our politic is like this pile of trash where every rats could rot everything in it, then all of us is facing a very bleak future.

    the personal is political. i, of course wont be a politician. I am an academician and an artist, and have decided to make a career out of it. but in every circle of life, politics will always be a part of it. every time you meet people, you negotiate, even courting someone you like, you use politics.

    in a nutshell, let's learn more of it so that we'll be able to be a good citizen, and a responsible human being.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i forgot to write my name:p.
    this is nosa.

    and viren, thanks for posting the HIV scene. I miss those old times. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your kind reply and visit!

    I fully am aware that politic roots in our daily life, that we are most likely to encounter them somehow.

    Whoa. Azhar's case is unfortunate one, indeed. Pretty much a resemblance of our political system.
    There had been an issue on our (me and Rani's) major. It also involved political matter and nasty schemes, and ended up so devastatingly.
    Both cases (Azhar's and our major's) are now really assuring me that I should take distance from anything that sounds political.

    I am now learning the nature of it, due the obligatory curriculum of my faculty. Reluctantly, at first. But now I am a bit motivated, to think that it may somehow appears to be useful for me in order to avoid being involved in any political intrigues in the future. I may now cross my fingers in hoping that I am going to be that lucky haha.


    About the posting of HIV scene... you're welcome!
    It was such laudable performance anyway :)

    ReplyDelete